Facebook Page

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hi, I thought I would just write a quick account of our 2 classes (beginner and intermediate) last night and what we covered. Rob took the first class and started with what Pete calls "body confidence" eg. rolls, back rolls etc also regaining your feet when you are down with an attacker standing over you. Once we got onto techniques Rob decided we would do guard pass cycle so we took everyone through the full cycle. I noticed a lot of the people who were doing the actual basic pass were tending to make the following mistakes; they were either holding the opponent down with their high arm giving triangles and arm bars away or they were posting on the floor with that arm giving triangles or omoplatas away. Justin and Kathleen were doing the pass very well but they were tending to not get their shoulder low enough under the leg for the actual pass so that when they drove forward they didn't actually stack the person on their shoulders as much as lift the persons leg. I showed them how to get a lot lower once the guard is open and the drive which stacks the person right up.

After that we ran 2 sequences; Elbow escape, double hooking sweep, far arm bar and then side control escape to guard, basic sweep, figure 4 from mount.

On a whole it was a good class, I am a bit concerned about my shoulder though, I reckon it is to soon to be doing very much physical activity, I am regulating my activity a lot, but I find it hard to go to class and do nothing, I will have to pay very close attention to it to much sure I keep it safe. On Thursdays class I am going to start a no gi BJJ class as opposed to standup as I don't think we have been getting the interest, hopefully more people will come with a change of focus to the class.

I had better clear off, but I'll leave you with a picture from by Cat-Jitsu collection, this is The Darkness holding The Khan in guard with his head in a Thai Clinch. Check out the eyes, I reckon someone turned The Darkness from "stun" to "kill"!

No comments: