Facebook Page

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gerry's BJJ Blog

Gerry's BJJ Blog

Tonight I taught my normal Thursday night class, but I decided to start a slightly different approach. Up until now I have been teaching a class integrating standup to clinch to takedowns, with a focus largely on self defence. Due to my inability to train for the last month or so and the apparent limited interest in the stand up class I decided to try a no-gi BJJ class. Actually, I was quite excited about the prospect as no-gi has always been a bit of a favourite of mine and I think it is probably the better side of my game. Anyways I had Luke, John and Peter come to class and they all seemed to enjoy it. After doing a warm up and spending a bit of time on safe falling (a bit of recurring theme at the moment due to a few injuries in the community plus a bit of a learning need for our students), then taught the technique chain step by step.

The entire chain was; double leg takedown to near side control to far head/arm wrap to mount, to arm wrap (or "who's your daddy?") to head and arm choke. I also intended to go from the mount with arm wrap to front control figure 4 and possibly even use the arm wrap to roll opponent to back, but we really only had time for the first sequence. We did spend a fair bit of time on the basics aswell, but most it was a small class and the details are important so that is OK.

In other notes it is crazy-hot today and the whole city is burning down so I hope those who are affected by the fires are going OK...

Also I have a physio appointment tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes and what hardcore exercises they have in store for me!

C ya

Gerry

No comments: