Facebook Page

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

northern guests

Last night we had a good training session and enjoyed the company of Jim, Jesse and Bill Reid on the mat. Typically Jim beat us all up, but Jesse and Bill gave us all a run as well. Jim is preparing to head over to the States to compete in the up and coming and Mundials so is getting as much mat time in as possible.

Jim gave us all a few good points on a triangle setup and also on details for finishing the triangle. Essentially if your opponent stacks you up, immediately under hook their leg to prevent being slammed and to create a sweep. As for the actual choke, use small "crunches" to get position and tighten the choke up.

Connor and I also discussed doing shin blocks from half guard to pull back to full guard or at least hooks or butterfly guard. I suspect that butterfly guard is a better option for me as I am stronger with butterfly sweeps than I am with hooks and it is also relatively easy for me to go to a pendulum setup from there which also works relatively well for me.

Anyway I am off, our baby is due tomorrow, although it isn't necessarily coming tomorrow, but we'll see.

No comments: