Facebook Page

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Current Progress and a new exercise

I don't have a great deal to add to the blog today in regards to exercises except that I have had a go at putting my gi over my chin up bar so that I can do "choke-ups" basically training the lats and my grip strength by doing a cross lapel choke as a pull up. It is pretty bizarre as the muscle groups that I am using aren't the same as the ones that I usually use for pull ups, plus I am not used to having tired hands and wrists from pull ups as I normally drape my hand over the bar rather that squeezing it tight. The other odd thing about this exercise is that there is nothing to stop you from spinning as you pull yourself up, it made it heaps of fun as I swung round in circles.

I have been trying to variations of this exercise, one is to do short quick reps so that I can get used to "hitting the choke" quickly and deeply. The other is to do a full pull up and then maintain the tension for a slow count to ten to replicate holding a choke on an opponent who doesn't like tapping.

I intend to play with ways to do a similar exercise to train a "No-Gi" choke, but I haven't found an effective one yet, short of grabbing my brother and choking him that is...

On a personal progress note, I am now down to 99kg which is a drop of 17kg since I started really concentrating on nutrition and harder exercise in November. I still have about 13kg to go to get me down to 86kg ("ish") which is roughly where I want to be. It will be weird to wrestle people who aren't lighter than me anymore, but hopefully my ever increasing mobility will make up for the lack of crush in my game.

Training was funny last night, we were doing various chokes and due to the heat when we demonstrated cross lapel choke I almost went out during both demos and saw plenty of stars before I tapped, bring on autumn...

No comments: