Facebook Page

Friday, May 06, 2016

if the technique is wrong, the variation is irrelevant

It has been a while since I lasted posted a blog, I did have it in my mind for a while to post with strict regularity. However, sometimes I find I am feeling creative and sometimes not and when the inspiration isn’t there I would probably only produce fairly subpar content. So I figure it is best to let it be until the inspiration strikes and then work with what I have.

As is often the case my inspiration comes from teaching, as I “cast my line” for an appropriate metaphor to make a point in class, I sometimes reel in inspiration. In this case I was planning to teach two variants of a technique and I knew from past experience that certain mistakes were common. So I made a point of teaching thoroughly the fundamental principles of the technique without worrying about either setup or the particular variation of the finish.

One of my widely read posts from 2013 was called Technique: Principle vs Preference. In that article I talked about the fundamental elements that make a technique work and then the variations that can be applied in achieving these fundamental elements. I often think this way about techniques that I am planning to teach, because I believe that as long as the core is understood by everyone, then everyone will be able to do the technique regardless of physical differences or preferences.

Last night I was making the point that, the variation you choose to enter or finish your technique really has no effect on how well it will work if you don’t have the fundamentals of the technique locked in. To make this point I said to my class “If the fundamentals of the technique are not right, then the variation you choose to use is irrelevant...” I then started to teach.

The subject of last night’s class was Head/Arm chokes, I had planned to teach a variation from the top position (Kata Gatame) and a variation from head to head {a little like a combination of an Anaconda  and a Guillotine). Considering how different these techniques look at a glance I knew that I would have to be even more conscious than usual that the underlying principles were locked in. To add to this I know from experience that in the case of Kata Gatame that is it common to get some strong opinions on how to finish it.

I mentioned when discussing it that, off the top of my head I could think of 5 variations in hand grip and at least 5 variations of body position/movement. I explained that in any of the possible 25 variations that these combinations could give me “that if the fundamentals of the technique are not right, then the variation you choose to use is irrelevant...”

Jiu Jitsu aaaaannnnnd maths.....


It is not my intention in this post to teach the world to finish a Kata Gatame, I just thought of the post title while I was teaching it. So my two techniques for the night turned into three practices sessions…

1. The fundamentals of the Head/Arm itself.
2. The first version, from the Kata Gatame position.
3. The variation from the head to head position.

By the time I was finished helping tidy up details with my students on all three variations I had repeated an extension of the title of this post so many times that I just stopped the class and said it to everyone: “If the fundamentals of the technique are not right, then the variation you choose to use is irrelevant. However if the fundamentals ARE right, then the variation you choose to use is irrelevant.”

That is a concept that I have considered before, but never really put into words. It still causes some argument though as a lot of people tend to be vested in their preferred method. I genuinely think that in most cases people are either mistaking their variation for the fundamental concepts of the technique, or don’t think about technique conceptually at all.

Three variations on the finish to Kata Gatame, but the same core principles.

In my experience conceptual teaching and learning is the most effective method, however that may just suit my mentality and other methods may be better suited to others. However I challenge all coaches who read this to think about their next lesson and try to teach their techniques with an emphasis on the principles that link the techniques and make them work. If you are a student (as we all should be), then try to take your lessons on in the same way. Look for the principle “under” the move, ie. ”what is it that is making this actually work?”

I hope you try it and I hope it helps your games.

No comments: