Facebook Page

Sunday, November 02, 2008

My 3 current themes

Been a while between updates, family strain is the main cause of this, but that is “part of the fun” as my Dad used to say so I can’t complain. In my personal game the biggest things that have been happening a lot recently are; Triangles, X-Guard and Can-Openers. I’ll write a bit about each of them and their impact on my game in the near future, but for know a general overview of what I have been doing with them.

Triangles - really all I am doing is just trying to get triangles, but I have been experimenting with different setups and different ways to finish, particularly in light of some comps starting to outlaw pulling down on the head.

X-Guard - I have been playing with 2 or 3 sweeps from half guard, but the main thing I have been doing is transitioning from a tight crushing half guard to X-Guard as an option to keep my opponent off balance.

Can-Openers - This is is a topic that I covered with John Will on my recent training visit, there were about 3 different ways that we covered for clearing the arms away from the body when opponent is defending tightly under side control.

In other news, between recent National and State tournments, quite a few members of our club have either placed or done really well. In particular there have been a few golds and some silver and bronzes as well. In a recent statewide submission grappling tournament quite a few from our club placed including a fantastic win for Heavy weight Second Place with a cutting arm bar from guard, a really great effort.

Any check back soon for updates on Triangles, X-Guard and Can-Openers.

No comments: